Thursday, May 6, 2010

Irony

I was talking with a friend today about the sometimes ironic way God works. We were talking about how God often places us in the very situations we feel most uncomfortable or that we least want to be in.

I was saying how I used to think teenagers were the worst. Mid
dle-schoolers made me want to run in the other direction. That's why I chose to be an elementary teacher. Being around pubescent teens was on my list of least favorite things. The gossip, giggling, cockiness, back-talking, attitudes, boy-crazy, girl-obsessed, DRAMA was just to much.

Wouldn't you know it, I married a man whose passion is youth ministry. I have to admit, I was quite intimidated at first, but was willing to give it a try. God has softened my heart towards them and now they are my passion too.

I can't tell you what I feel about these teens, there just aren't words enough. All I can think to say is I LOVE THEM. They have filled up my heart and blessed my soul beyond anything else.




Yes, there is drama, attitudes, and LOTS of giggling. But, there is so much joy in watching them grow and become amazing young people of God, despite the worst life circumstances. Sometimes there are disappointments, but I just
pray this verse everyday.


Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6

2 comments:

  1. great post! and you guys are doing an amazing job. those students are very blessed to have you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work with middle schoolers. I have days I want to run into the distance screaming. And then other days I want to hug about 1/2 of them because I know they are hurting. Being a pre-teen/teenager in these days is hard. This is a great reminder to why I am there.

    ReplyDelete